H I S T O R Y
Cherry Creek received it's name from Joshua Bentley Jr., a surveyor
for the Holland Land Company. He found the center of the Township
located on a small island in a stream. He cut a red cherry sapling
and drove it in the ground to mark the township center. He called
the stream Cherry Creek and the township and village became the
Lots were cut and Cherry Creek was formed May 4, 1928. Hardy pioneers
found their way to this area. They traveled with oxen and wagon
bringing their posessions with them. They found the virgin timber,
streams, and the ease of getting an endless supply of water by flowing
wells which was a great attraction. Some are still in use today.
The first road was cut following the Indians Trail in 1812 through
the heavy forest from Kents Mill in Villenova, 16 miles through
Cherry Creek to Kennedyville. They were paid $10 per mile by the
Holland Land Company.
In late years, the 1850's, as the town grew, plank roads were built
and corduroy roads were built in wet areas.
The first log house was built in 1815 by Joseph M. Kent. It was
covered with bark and had no windows or doors. He brought his wife
and several children to live here. The first school, a log cabin
with a fireplace for heat, was taught by Mr. Reuben Cheney in 1819.
Mr. William Kilburn operated the first sawmill in 1823. He soon
added a shop to produce spinning wheels and chairs.
Our area was served by Doctor Thomas Wheeler of Rutledge until 1829
when Dr. Horace Morgan moved his practice to Cherry Creek.
Mill stones were brought to Cherry Creek from Connectibut by Solomon
Hinche in 1837 to grind grain. He purchased land on what is now
The first newspaper printed here was the Cherry Creek Monitor June
30, 1883. Charles J. Schults published the Pine Valley News in South
Dayton. He bought the Monitor combining the two and moved to Cherry
Creek. He published the Cherry Creek News for 16 years. He sold
to Will Reade and Clarence Smith who published for many years.
Our town was given a great boost with the building in 1874-1875,
of the Jamestown Buffalo Railroad, which was later known as Buffalo
Southwestern. Our depot was built in 1896 at a cost of $3000. The
railroad led to more shops and business interests. In 1893 the Village
By 1900 the Town was a bustling community. All needs of the farming
area were available locally. There were churches, schools, grocery
and meat markets, clothing and dry goods for family needs. Factories
included cheese and butter boxes, canning factory, charcoal kilns,
cheese factory, milk plant and an iron foundry. Some items invented
here were wood splitters, steam engines, long-handled dust pans,
fishing rods, butter packages and barrles.
In 1928 the State road was built through Cherry Creek and with more
automobiles in use, people began to travel more and shop in larger